Monday, August 17, 2015

Perogies.

Yesterday we made for dinner perogies. Everyone in my house has their favorite, I love them with fruits and at Christmas time with sauerkraut and mushrooms, my husband loves them all and my kids love with prunes so that's what we did yesterday. 






 Dough:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup warm water ( approx)
- 4 tsp vegetable oil

In bowl combine flour and salt, beat together water, egg and oil, stir into flour mixture to make soft but not sticky dough that holds together in ball. If necessary add more water. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth. Halve dough, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes.  Working with one portion of dough at a time roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1.5 mm thickness, using round cutter cut out rounds.

This dough will dry very quickly, so while I'm working on the second dough I place my circles on floured table and cover them with lightly wet tea towel and I do that also when I'm filling the perogies, the finished ones are always on floured surface and covered with tea towel.

Place your choice of filling in the middle of the circle and stick together the edges. When the filling is like the  sauerkraut its harder to close them properly because if anything gets stuck in the edges they will fall apart while boiling.

Cook perogies in salted boiling water for about 3-5 minutes after they float to the top, and here again it all depends on the filling, prunes will need more time but strawberries and blueberries will be ok with just 3 min. (I take one out and just try it to make sure). Don't put too many in the pot at the time because they will expend slightly, with about 6L pot I put 30-40 at a time. When they are done transfer them to colander and drain, transfer to a big bowl and cover it with melted butter or they will stick.

Sometimes I make a lot of perogies and when they cool of I freeze them, put single layer of perogies on a cookie sheet covered with plastic and freeze, after few houres I transfer them to freezer bags.

 

3 comments:

  1. Looks good and sound versatile - is it pie crust that you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No its a dough, I will add the recipe to the post.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the recipe. I will definitely give this a try!

      Delete