Friday, May 22, 2020

Dandelions.

It's that time of the year again, dandelions are everywhere. This year I almost didn't pick them because the syrup needs to be kept in a fridge and I don't have much room. After few days of thinking and shifting things in the fridge I found little bit of space and grabbed my kids and ventured out with a big basket. We managed to pick a lot and then I started to prepare the flowers. First I had to wash them, I lay them on my table for about 12 hours or overnight, so they can dry and mostly so the bugs have a chance to crawl out, then I spend most of a day separating the green parts from the flowers. Then I cover the yellow fluff with water and boil, turn off the heat and cover it, and let it steep overnight in a cool place, I just put the pot on my balcony. The next day I separate the liquid from the flowers and start boiling the juice. I add some sugar and lots of honey and slowly boiled it down. It takes few hours. This year I used some of the liquid to make a jelly. The colour is so deep and the syrup tastes like pure honey, and the jelly... oh my, it's so good.






2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I don't think I've seen this before. Is it the consistency of jelly or of syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the syrup is a liquid, it's not thick at all, but the jelly is like a jam.

      Delete