Monday, May 27, 2019

Dandelions.

Last week I went dandelion picking. I do this every year, usually with my husband, so it can be done faster. It took us about an hour to fill this basket, we found a hill full of flowers and they were so nice and big.







So first I wash them and lay them on my table to dry.





Then in the evening I started to remove the green parts, it takes some time and my fingers were all brown but this way the syrup is not bitter.




Next step is to cover it with water and boil, remove from the heat, cover it and steep over night in cool place, I just put it on my balcony.



The next day I strain it thru cheese cloth and return the liquid to the pot.





This is the leftover pulp.


To make this into a syrup you need to add lemon juice, honey and lots of sugar and simmer for few hours, but I like this to be more healthy so I don't add any sugar just the lemon and honey, and just cook it for half an hour. Then I put it in jars and bottles and store it in the fridge.



I use it in my home made ice tea all year round, this will last us until next Spring. 

5 comments:

  1. So glad to see you're back! I didn't know all this about dandelions.
    Again, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be back. it will take me a while to get back to regular posting.

      Delete
  2. I hope you and family are alright. I'm missing you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your ingenuity and creativity! So glad to see a new post, although I often go back and review all your old posts.

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete