Friday, May 25, 2018

Dandelions.

I love this time of the year, warm weather is here to stay, I spend a lot of time in the garden, I also started my community garden (pictures coming next week), we go out after school to the park and there is so much to do at home. I love being busy but with that comes less time at the computer. I was planning this post for a week now and today I finally found a moment to write it. 

Every year I take my kids to pick dandelions but this year I went with my husband, we went to the park I always go but there was nothing there, not even one flower I was really disappointed. We decided to go home thru different park in hopes that we might find something and did we ever. There was a yellow hill with beautiful big and full flowers. It didn't take long to have a full basket.



The process of making the syrup took overall 4 days. First day we pick them, I wash them and lay them to dry.




Next two days I pulled out all the yellow flowers and composted the green parts, by the end of third day I boiled it, covered and let it steep overnight.





The last day I removed the flowers and gently boil the liquid for few hours with lemon juice, sugar and honey.




It is supposed to be a syrup but to be honest with you only once it became thick like a syrup, most of the time its more like a juice, but its so good and sweet. I would probably make more but it needs to be stored in a fridge.




I use this "syrup" in my tea as a sweetener, I use it on chickpea when I roast them in the oven for a snack and I use it on pancakes but its more off a dip the pancake in a bowl of dandelion goodness.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've never seen this done before! I have heard of fried dandelions though!

    ReplyDelete